The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

An Unwanted Fear

I had a first today. My first mammogram. I was (am) nervous about it. Not the test itself, but of the results. A little over a year ago, I would not have given a mammogram a second thought. We had no breast cancer in our family, as far as I know on either side. But then, last July my mother found out she had breast cancer. It was a small spot, but invasive. She had a mastectomy, they biopsied lymph nodes and they were clean, so she was declared cancer free.

My primary care Dr. (who is also my parents primary care Dr.) said he thought it would be a good idea to get a base line mammogram for me. He gave me the order in February. It took me till July to work up the courage to go have it done. It took my mom calling and telling me that she made her appointment and I should make one for the same day. So I did. The mammography clinic was very nice, scheduled me for the next appointment after my mother.

The test went well. Not nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. The technician was extremely friendly, and informative. She understood all my fears. She made sure that I knew there is a good chance I may be called in for a second mammogram. This is because of having nothing to compare the films to since it is my first time. She said it is very common for the Dr. who reads the mammograms to call and request a second one for comparison.

So it is over. The test is done. Now just waiting for the results. Most likely there will be no problems. But as much as I try not to, I still have a little fear. I need to remember, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

No comments: