The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Zoodles

Tonight for dinner we tried something new: Zoodles! They were very yummy (in fact all six of us liked them) and super easy. I served them with marinara sauce I made and a little feta or parmesan over the top.

What are Zoodles? All Zoodles are is zucchini. I used a julienne peeler and julienned two medium sized zucchini and one yellow squash. Then I put them in a glass casserole dish with a lid and cooked them in the microwave for 3 minutes 30 seconds. I cooked them for two minutes, stirred, then another minute and 30 seconds. They were perfect.

20130721_185058

The marinara sauce I make comes out of my head. But I will try to put it into measurements and give the recipe.

Marinara Sauce

1 large onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

4 (14oz) cans diced )tomatoes

1/2 cup red wine (I used Merlot)

1 tablespoon dried basil (  was going to use fresh, but left it in my mother’s car Sad smile)

1 tablespoon parsley

1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and translucent. Add diced tomatoes, wine, basil, and parsley. Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes. Serve over spaghetti squash or noodles or Zoodles.

Along with the Zoodles I also made spaghetti squash. Since I was trying something new, I made the spaghetti squash as well since I knew my family will eat it. I also made a few noodles for my husband, who was leery of all vegetable noodles. But, to my surprise, as well as his, he ended up liking my veggie noodles. I will definitely make the Zoodles again this summer as long as the zucchini lasts.

No comments: