The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Comparisons

I read in  No More Perfect Moms a quote that has stuck with me since I read the book last February. It is “Don’t compare the insides of your marriage to the outsides of other marriages”. I have broadened this to include all of life. I tell myself often, “Don’t compare the insides of your life to the outsides of other’s lives.”

I love Facebook. I love that, even though we have moved many times, I can keep up with and see friends and family who are far away. But, there are times I have to repeat to myself, “Don’t compare the insides of your life to the outsides of other’s lives.” I have to remember that I pretty much only put the “good stuff” of my life on Facebook. I don’t usually talk about how Rebekah threw a huge fit over having to clean her room. Or, I don’t put on that Sarah and I had words over what size shirt to buy her.

If I am posting mostly good stuff on Facebook, others are too. Putting up a good front. Showing their best side. If someone writes that their kids were so obedient and left the park with no fussing, I have to remember that I have just as many days that they behaved than misbehaved .  When I read that someone’s husband cooked them dinner or brought flowers, I have to remember that there are many things my husband does for me, too.

So, I guess my lesson for myself today is: take what you see on Facebook with a grain of salt. Be happy for others happiness.  As Romans 12:15 says, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.”

No comments: