The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Vacation Bible School Musings

Today is the last day of our church’s Vacation Bible School. It has been a very fun, but very busy week. My job this week was to teach the Bible lessons to the kids. I love this job and was very happy to be given the opportunity to do it.

Because I got a chance to interact with all the kids I made a very interesting discovery about our Vacation Bible School this year. We usually talk about VBS as an outreach. We reach out to both those who know Christ as well as those children who do not know Christ. My discovery this year was almost every child who came to our VBS has prior church experience. The students who knew how to read all knew how to find a book, chapter and verse in the bible. Even the little ones could tell me that Jesus died on the cross and rose again.

This has been an interesting observation and has my mind turning thinking of how we can change the way we do VBS to better suit the needs of the kids who are attending. I think instead of a light overview of Law and Gospel concepts to introduce unchurched kids to Christianity, we should conduct a Bible School that includes more in depth study of the Bible.

This is just an idea in my head. I do realize that buying a pre-made program is much, much easier than coming up with something on our own. But I do think it would be great to deepen the faith of the kids attending while also addressing the needs of the kids who have never heard the Gospel message.

No comments: