The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chores through the Years: Laundry

Laundry. Laundry can be overwhelming when you have six people living in the house. Over the years, I have done all the laundry myself. You know, wash, dry, fold, put away. Then as Matthew and Sarah got older, I had them help me, but mainly it was my responsibility.

When Matthew was about 10 years old, I decided he could start helping me more with the laundry. So I made a chart and hung it in the laundry area. My chart covered sorting, water temperature, soap amount and wash and dry settings. This worked pretty well for Matthew and then Sarah to learn how to do the laundry.

As it happens when you have older kids and younger kids, I relied on the older kids to get the laundry done and left Ben and Rebekah to just be the “helpers”. About the time Matthew turned 18, he started doing his own laundry. So Ben and Rebekah had to start doing the laundry with Sarah.

Now, two years later, Sarah has decided to do her own laundry. Matthew still does his own. I do Matt and mine. So that leaves Ben and Rebekah to do their own laundry. They each sort their own clothes, wash and dry them together. After the clothes are dry, they then take the basket between them and pull out their own clothes to fold and put away.

This system is working pretty well for our family. The only problem we have encountered is me remembering to tell Ben and Rebekah to get their laundry done. So we are solving this problem by giving them a day, Monday, that is their laundry day.

Laundry is one chore that is ever evolving in our family. Cleaning the bathroom is another chore that keeps evolving. But, I will tell more about that “fun” task in another post.

No comments: