The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 18, 2013

ClarkClan Baked Oatmeal

A few weeks ago, I shared my granola recipe. Today, I thought I would share another great breakfast option: Baked Oatmeal.  Baked Oatmeal is an excellent, tasty breakfast option. It is quick to put together the morning of, or it can be made ahead. It is simple, yet impressive for overnight guests. I have not come across anyone who does not like Baked Oatmeal, even people who normally do not eat oatmeal like this one. I think it is because it tastes like eating an oatmeal cookie, for breakfast.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned, I always use old-fashioned)

1/2 cup brown sugar (can increase this to 1 cup, but I think it is sweet enough with the 1/2 cup)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon (you can add more or less depending on your taste preferences)

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup milk

1/2 cup butter, melted

Optional Fruit

1/2 cup raisins or Craisins

3/4 cup chopped peeled apple (I don’t usually peel it)

1/3 cup fresh or frozen peaches

1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries,

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine the eggs, milk and butter, add to the dry ingredients. Stir in one or more of the optional fruit, if desired. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with milk or cream if desired.

Very simple to make and wonderful to serve. This recipe doubles easily. You can use a bigger pan or just use the 9x13 inch and it will be thicker.

I have had all sorts of fun with this recipe. I have added butternut squash and just decreased the milk a bit. I have done the same with pumpkin. I have also added pecans, which I love, but my kids are not so crazy about them in their baked oatmeal.

I have found this freezes well, also. I make the entire batch of baked oatmeal up, then put the wet mix in a ziploc bag. We freeze it and then when I need a nicer breakfast I pull the bag out the night before to thaw and then bake as usual. I also store all leftovers in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Oh yum.

I've been wanting to do baked oatmeal again... it has been too long.

Vickie said...

I think we are going to try this one on Oatmeal day this week. Thanks for sharing.