The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Garden Fun

We have been very excited by our garden and how well it is growing. We are growing some things from seeds and bought plants for others. From seed we are growing; basil, summer squash, zucchini, green onions (scallions), radishes, cucumbers and green beans. We bought plants for: tomatoes (3 kinds), Red and Yellow Bell peppers,  watermelon and cantaloupe.

Everything is thriving except the watermelon and cantaloupe. Both of those plants have died. I have heard two theories about why. One was that they take a ton of water and two is that the soil is not sandy enough. I am not sure what I believe about why, but I told the kids we are not going to try them again we are going to plant something different. So I have decided to plant butternut squash. My grandmother assures me that butternut squash grows well around here. We bought the seeds at Wal-Mart this evening. I am going to soak them in water tonight and then plant them in the morning.

garden april 29 2013

It is getting quite a bit warmer now, so I am expecting the garden to grow quickly now. Most days are high 80’s  to lower 90’s. It has been extremely dry around this region, so I have been watering every morning. With this shape garden, it does not take much water.

Matt did his part by making me a cage to keep the birds and cats out. I get very upset when the neighbors cats come over and dig in my garden. But, that problem is solved now, thanks to Matt.

20130429_114624

No comments: