The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Friday, January 25, 2013

An Introduction to Shakespeare

When we were at the library today, I found a book in the Juvenile Fiction History section that looked very interesting. It was an adaptation of the William Shakespeare play Twelfth Night. Adapted by Bruce Colville and illustrated by Tim Raglin, this children’s book combines the play, told in prose, with various lines quoted word for word from the play.

I have read some Shakespeare, mainly in high school, but I have never read Twelfth Night before. It was hilarious. Ben, Rebekah and I giggled through the book. I had to keep stopping and re-capping what we had read just to keep the story straight in my mind. Ben kept saying that he was having no trouble keeping up with the different characters.

I am so glad we took the time to read this book. It gave us an excellent introduction to Shakespeare. There are a few more Shakespeare plays in this series. The kids have requested that we read the adaptation of Romeo and Juliet next.

No comments: