The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Proverbs 10:19

"In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise."

When I came across this verse a few years ago, I was excited. Here was something I could use to help teach and train my children. At the time I had a son who loved to argue and justify his actions, why he did what he did and why it was right. I used to tell him the more he talked the madder I would get. So I had him memorize this verse and would remind him of it as he started to argue.
But a funny thing happened, I began to internalize this verse. I began to realize that I would talk and talk and talk and I would make my kids feel they had to argue with me. So I slowly began to learn to restrain my lips. I learned to make my words short and sweet, just as it says in Proverbs 16:24. "Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones."
Do I keep this perfectly? No Raising children is a learning process, but by the grace of God, I am learning .

3 comments:

Cathlene said...

Thank you , Jill. Wise words indeed!

Lisa said...

I'm going to keep that in mind and work on it, too!

Vickie said...

This is great. I'm going to save this and have the kids learn it as well...especially for a certain couple girls :)