The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Small Changes: Revisited

I have written a lot about small changes I have been trying to make this year. I knew that if I tried to change everything that I wanted to change in my life all at once, I would fail. I have found that really , it does work, as long as I make one small change at a time and don’t expect perfection.

I have also found that some of the things I wanted to change are just not going to work out for me. The main one being getting up at 5:00am every morning.  I thought about all the things I could get done if I just got up earlier in the morning. So I began setting my alarm two minutes earlier until I was getting up at 5am. What I found was: I JUST CAN’T GET UP THAT EARLY! There, I said it, I tried for over a month. I just do not get enough sleep. My alarm rings at 5:50. That is what works for me. I  can get up and be ready for my walk at 6:25am.

Getting up at 5:00am would require that I was in bed between 9 and 9:30pm every night. This is not possible for me. There are nights that Scouts do not end until close to 9. There are nights my husband does not get home from work until 9 or later.  Many reasons why I can’t be in bed by 9:00pm, the main one being, our life is still continuing at that hour and I cannot just go to bed so I can get up to be by myself in the morning.

It really bugged me that I could not work this out. I talked to my sister about it and told her I felt like I had failed. She gave me a different perspective. She said to look at the situation as,”I didn’t fail, I just learned how much sleep my body needs to function well.”

I have decided that I am not going to fret over not being able to get up earlier. There are times that even 5:50am does not work well, especially after playing a 9:00pm softball game the night before. But I have also learned the power of taking a nap, even a short one, to rejuvenate myself during the day.

No comments: