The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review—Joyce Herzog Learning in Spite of Labels

 photo joyceherzog_zps3c5942dd.jpg

Joyce Herzog has written and published many different educational materials. Her website joyceherzog.com contains the many different educational products she has authored and published. She has taught learning disabled and elementary students for over 25 years. A sought after speaker, she speaks at homeschool conventions and seminars. Her educational materials fit with many homeschooling philosophies including Charlotte Mason, relaxed homeschooling, and  '”real” book learning.

 photo LearninginSpiteofLabels_zps646b6f6f.jpg

Joyce Herzog has written and published many different educational materials. She has taught learning disabled and elementary students for over 25 years. A sought after speaker, she speaks at homeschool conventions and seminars. Her educational materials fit with many homeschooling philosophies including Charlotte Mason, relaxed homeschooling, and  '”real” book learning.

Learning In Spite of Labels gives practical strategies for working with children with learning disabilities. It focuses on the child as an individual, first, then on finding effective ways to work with that child. 

ClarkClan Thoughts

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was like sitting and getting advice from a veteran teacher. I found the wisdom that Joyce Herzog dispensed to be effective and practical. The tone of the book was positive. She focused on utilizing kids strengths as well as building up weaknesses.

Very practical, easy to implement teaching hints and strategies impressed me the most. I have a father who taught Special Education for 20 years. The advice Joyce Herzog gives in her book is some of the same advice my dad has given to me over the years. I would share some of what I was reading with him and be able to discuss ideas and ways of dealing with problems.

I have a daughter who has been diagnosed ADHD, as well as friends children and children I work with at church. I absolutely agree with Joyce Herzog in advice to have structure and discipline. This is what I have found to be the most helpful for my daughter as well as for others I have given the advice too. It was nice to have what I already do, backed up as a good thing to try. I also learned new ideas to try such as allowing her to make mistakes as long as it doesn’t endanger herself or someone else.

In all, I found this book to be very informative and engaging. I have read and re-read it during this review period. I liked how Joyce Herzog looks at a child as a whole person and not just a set of problems. She also focuses on the whole person as far as physical, emotional, educational and spiritual. I like her focus on scripture in teaching your child.

Photobucket

There were many products from Joyce Herzog that the Schoolhouse Review crew were able to review. Visit the Crew Blog and read the reviews for those products.

 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif

No comments: