The crazy life of the ClarkClan. Living a life of grace through Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Faith Like a Little Child

     What does it mean to have the “faith of a little child “to me?

Matthew 18:3 “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

     We are going through a major life change. My husband is retiring from 22 years in the Air Force,  a total career change.  With our oldest son entering college this Fall and three other children at home, this is a daunting time.

     To have the faith of a little child has been shown very plainly to me.  Our church had its Vacation Bible School last week.  I taught the pre-school class. We learned throughout the week many lessons about trusting in Jesus to “rescue” us.  First of all we started in the Old Testament and learned how Moses was rescued by God when he was a baby in a basket. The next day we learned how God rescued Moses and the Israelites when they were fleeing Egypt and there appeared to be no possible way to get away from Pharaoh and his army and God opened a path through the Red Sea.

     We learned to be a light in the world for Jesus on the third day of VBS. On the fourth day we learned that Jesus rose from the dead and conquered sin, death and the devil.  The last day we learned that heaven is going to be a beautiful place where we will receive a crown of life.

     Each day, as I was preparing and then teaching the lessons, I was reminded to have the “faith of a little child”. When you teach these lessons  to children, they believe them with their whole heart, no questions that God does not love them or take care of them.  I truly believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. This means that I need to not question God’s love or care for me.  I realized I could not effectively teach that God rescues us, and then spend my time worrying about how all my problems are going to work out.

     God’s ways are not my ways, and His thoughts are not my thoughts.  Faith like a little child is trusting that God will never leave me or abandon me. Jesus has promised in Matthew 28:20, “Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Faith like a little child means that I don’t know how my problems will work out, but I know that no matter what the trial, Jesus is walking through it with me.

     My problems are not going to go away, in fact, they very well may get worse. But, I know I have a Savior who is living and active and with me all the time.  I can proceed knowing that I don’t have to have all the answers or know what is going to happen. I can have the faith of a little child and sing with abandon;

Jesus loves me. This I know.

For the Bible tells me so.

Little ones to Him belong.

They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me,

Yes, Jesus loves me,

Yes, Jesus loves me,

The Bible tells me so!

2 comments:

Cathlene said...

Thank you , Jill. Well said!

Vickie said...

Amen and Amen!!! Very well said and words I need to take to heart as well. Thank you.