Action Alert is an internet safety solution to help protect kids from online dangers. Action Alert combines 8 internet safety tools in one product.
- Access Control—shuts down PC access remotely
- Activity Alert Notifications – receive activity alerts via e-mail or texts.
- Activity Video Recording – Records 60 hours of all PC activity.
- Time Allowance – Set daily times when the PC can be used.
- Site Blocking – Blocks unwanted and inappropriate sites.
- Content Filtering – Allows only safe searches to be conducted.
- Keystroke Logging – Logs user names and passwords.
- Chat and E-mail Logging – Log both sides of conversations.
Two versions of Action Alert are available.
- Free Protection- Everything you need to setup a kid-safe computer in seconds. All Totally Free!
- Maximum Protection—Offers all above features plus Multiple user protection, is Fully Customizable and provides Full Social Network Monitoring. This may be purchased from Action Alert for $29.99
We installed Action Alert on the computer that is used by the kids. They use this computer for both schoolwork and to play games. Action Alert was simple to install. Once installed Action Alert Safe Search page becomes the internet home page.
As Action Alert says, I was able to remotely access the kids computer using mine. I was able to block sites that I did not want them visiting. I received alerts through my email. I also was able to watch a recording of PC activity. My kids do not online chat or e-mail, so we never tried out the chat and e-mail logging feature.
The most notable thing we encountered using Action Alert was a computer slow down. The computer the kids use is an older model and we noticed a definite slow down after installation.
I also had some trouble setting the program to the parameters I wanted. It seemed it was either too restrictive or too lenient. The program comes pre-loaded with “hundreds of thousands” of websites known for unwanted content. I can’t speak to that as we did not come across anything that was searched for as inappropriate. Action Alert will send an alert if certain terms, that you set up, have been searched. What we noticed was that all the sites came up, and they could be visited, but I was e-mailed an alert that an unacceptable term had been searched. Then, if I chose, I could remotely shut down computer access. The idea behind this is accountability. If your child knows that you will find out they are searching for something inappropriate they will be more responsible.
Many of my Crew Mates also reviewed Action Alert. Visit the Crew Blog to read what they thought about this Internet Safety Tool.
As an Independent contractor for The Old Schoolhouse and member of TOS Homeschool Crew I received the Maximum Protection version of Action Alert for free in exchange for my honest review of their product.