We recently had the pleasure of reviewing a picture book called Amazing Animals by Design by Debra Haagen.
- Available from Tate Publishing
- $8.99 for paperback
- $7.99 e-book edition
- Visit the Amazing Animals by Design Blog
- Like Amazing Animals by Design on FaceBook
Rebekah and I have had a fun time reading this book together. Good dialogue between children and parents during a trip to the zoo is the highlight of this book. The dialogue focuses on the word “design”. The main theme is that every animal is designed with special abilities that help the animal through life.
The book gives a good “zoo” feel by focusing on animals that most of us will only see in a zoo. I liked that the information about each animal is factual. I even learned something about ostriches that I did not know. The special design that each animal has or uses is then tied together with a question of “Who is the Designer?”
God is given all the praise for creating each animal and their special features. An easy transition then relates how we are God’s design, too. We are created with special abilities like the animals, except we have been given and a mind and a heart so we can know God.
Two points that I really liked about the book are:
- Family – I loved that this book was written with both a mom and a dad. This is our family dynamic and it is nice to see it reinforced in a book.
- The kids in the story had previous knowledge of God. They knew the answer when asked who designed the animals. I have read other Christian story books that assume kids have never been exposed to God. My kids have been in church since they were born and can relate to the kids in the story who can take what they are learning and apply God as the creator.
Want to read even more reviews? Visit the TOS Crew Blog and read what my Crew Mates think about this cute book.
Disclaimer: As an Independent contractor for The Old Schoolhouse and member of TOS Homeschool Crew I received a download copy of Amazing Animals by Design for free from Tate Publishing in exchange for my honest review of their product. All opinions given are mine and/or my children’s.